My Mom grew up with corned beef. I only had it sporadically as a kid, but wasn’t a big fan in my childhood. The other day my Mom decided to make some and told me stories about my Grandma who made it to help support her kids as a single mother.
Here is my mom’s corned beef recipe:
- 1 can corned beef
- 1 small can of corn (diced)
- 1/4 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 tablespoons of sofrito
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/2 can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of cilantro (rough chopped)
- 1 small potato (peel and cut into mid-squares)
- Sazon Tropical packet (about 1 tbsp. if using your own Sazon)
- Garlic salt, black pepper and salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Drizzle a pan set to medium-high with cooking oil to saute sofrito, onions, and bell pepper for about 5 minutes
- Add crushed garlic, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and 1/4 cup of water, combine and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Add corn with corn juice from the can (if the consistency is too thick add 1/4 cup of more water) and simmer for 2 minutes
- Add the corned beef and break it up and then add potatoes
- Add the Sazon Tropical packet and other seasonings (garlic salt, salt, black pepper) as well as half of the cilantro and cover on medium low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes. NOTE: Always make sure consistency is not too dry or too wet…add a little water if needed but also adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with white rice and sweet plantains. Add the rest of the cilantro a little to each plate.