Fox 5 DC is reporting that someone has been stabbed to death over the Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich in Maryland. The chicken sandwich returned to stores this past Sunday. Police are investigating the incident. The victim was 28 years old.
Sweet Buns Bakery is now open by USF in Tampa’s Uptown. The Asian bakery is originally from Gainesville and has the same ownership as Yummy House. It is yet another new business to come to the area in recent months.
The concept is similar to a popular chain called 85°C Bakery Café, a Taiwanese bakery chain that serves a variety of baked breads and pastries as well as drinks to customers. 85°C Bakery Café is currently experiencing rapid expansion across the United States.
This concept is notably going to compete with a number of bubble tea shops already in the area which usually sell snacks and sweet beverages. There is a quite a few other Asian concepts currently in the works for the neighborhood.
According to the Sweet Buns website the stores “feature free wifi, made-to-order baked goods, cakes, and a relaxing environment to study or just hang and enjoy some sweets.”
The bakery is located at 2788 East Fowler Avenue,Tampa, FL 33612.
Visit them online at sweetbuns.co
More than 225 local businesses are taking over Vinoy Park in Downtown St. Petersburg for LocalShops1’s 10th Annual Shopapalooza Festival on Saturday, November 30th and Sunday, December 1st. The family-friendly event features local art, local music, and the local vibe that makes St. Pete what it is.
“Shopapalooza Festival celebrates and spotlights the great independent businesses that make Tampa Bay such an amazing place. It gives consumers the opportunity to kick off the holiday shopping season by shopping locally!” says Ester Venouziou, LocalShops1 founder.
Venouziou has made it a mission to support local businesses for over a decade.
Vendor options include gourmet food products, home decor, handcrafted jewelry, clothing and accessories, health and beauty products, fair trade goods, vintage finds, pet treats and toys, books, candles and much more.
The events will have “food hall” that features the following options in one spot:
- Amy’s Spot
- Buddy Brew Coffee
- Hot Pursuit Catering BBQ
- Main Street Boys Empanadas
- Mookie’s Kettle Korn
- Pipo’s Cuban Cafe
- Pop Goes the Waffle
- Softee the King
- Tasty Dogz
- The Best Thai Food
- The Fishin Chicken
- The Tea Jug
Food options around the event include:
- Emmy & J Roasted Nuts
- Gateau OChocolat
- iPop Gourmet Popcorn
- JB’s Sweet Addiction
- Lynn’s Ice Cream & Belgian Waffles
- Melonhead Melonade
- Skoops Italian Ice
- Sunny Culture
- Sweet Life Cupcakes
- The Tea Jug (2nd location)
- You Are the Hamster
The event is sponsored by the City of St. Petersburg. It’s sure to be a great time so make sure to go out and shop local.
For more information visit Shopapalooza online at shopapaloozafestival.com.
Event Name: 10th Annual Shoapalooza
Neighborhood: Downtown St. Petersburg
Venue: Vinoy Park
Address: 701 Bayshore Dr. NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Date & Time: Saturday, November 30th, 10AM-5PM, Sunday, December 1st, 10AM-5PM
Cost: Free to attend, Register early for a chance to win a $500 shopping spree
Celebrate Veteran’s Day weekend at WestShore Plaza this Saturday, November 9th, 2019 from 3PM-8PM. Food trucks will be present including Vanchetta Food Truck, Jazzybgrille, and Mr. C’s Grilled Cheese. The event is free to attend and family-friendly.
Parents can enjoy a free kids area presented by Mathnasium.
Proceeds will benefit The Stano Foundation. The mission of The Stano Foundation is “to support our Armed Forces and Veterans through project based initiatives focused on enhancing their comfort and quality of life with a piece of home.”
Event Name: Red, White, & Brew
Venue: WestShore Plaza
Address: 250 Westshore Plaza, Tampa, FL 33609
Date & Time: Saturday, November 9th, 2019, 3PM-8PM
Cost: Free to attend
Facebook RSVP: http://www.facebook.com/events/434775030415032/
The third annual Whiskey Foxtrot Tasting is this weekend at the Epicurean Hotel in South Tampa. Events are running most of week starting on Wednesday, November 6th. This year’s event is a celebration of women in whiskey.
Featured women include:
- Nicole Austin, George Dickel Master Distiller
- Erin Yesser, Edrington Ambassador
- Natalia Cardenas, Woodford Reserve Ambassador
- Jill Boyd, Compass Box Whisky Maker
- Ingrid Rodriguez, WhistlePig Regional Manager and Steward of the Brand
- Andrea Wilson, Michter’s Master of Maturation
- Shayna Kaufman, Brown-Forman Brand Ambassador
Guests will sample more than 200 whiskeys and bites presented by some of Tampa’s top restaurants including Bern’s Steak House, Elevage, Big Ray’s Fish Camp, Nebraska Mini-Mart, Forbici, and more.
If you love whiskey, this event is one of the best ones I have ever had the chance to attend and highly recommend fans to watch.
Tickets are SOLD OUT. General Admission tickets are $95 per person and VIP is $175 per person. VIP includes an hour of early access and access to exclusive bottles, as well as a VIP cocktail lounge located at the EDGE rooftop bar with music, a cigar rolling station, and new this year – a Whiskey & Chocolate Lounge in the Epicurean Theatre.
Themed dinners from whiskey partners are also sold out. If you missed your chance to get tickets this year, make sure you grab them next year.
More information is available at whiskeytampafoxtrot.com
After years of working to bring a mixed food concept to Downtown St. Pete, Celebrity Chef Michael Mina has sold Locale Market and FarmTable Cucina in the Sundial to Tampa-based Armature Works group BE-1 Concepts, which plans to change the space and surrounding businesses into a food hall with plans to open by late 2020.
Chef Michael Mina shared, “With so many other projects and opportunities in front of me, I felt now was the right time to pass the torch. I am beyond excited to see what Chas and his team have cooked up for this community.”
Chef Michael Mina is thought to be a powerhouse restaurateur with over 40 restaurants opened worldwide in large metropolitan cities such as San Francisco and Las Vegas.
Locale Market was founded by Chef Michael Mina and Chef Don Pintabona and opened in December 2014. The concept will close five years later at the end of the holiday season in December 2019.
Former Tampa Bay Times Food Critic, Laura Reiley, reported back in 2015 that Chef Pintabona left St. Petersburg back to New York as soon as his one-year contract expired. Pintabona’s pedigree at Robert DeNiro’s Tribeca Grill was considered to be a big deal when Locale opened, but the concept never really seemed to take off despite many campaigns and changes. The team admitted to struggles between being a restaurant concept and a gourmet, locally-sourced market.
The biggest loss will be FarmTable Cucina upstairs that was recently finding ground with a new chef. Executive Chef, James Kirby, has worked hard to make the menu truly local in recent months as a former farmer himself.
BE-1 Concepts is also taking control of Jackie Z Style Co., Wellness Center at Sundial, D-Gallerie Fine Arts and additional vacant spaces on the lower level.
BE-1 Concepts owns numerous concepts in Tampa Bay and around Florida including Boca, Ciro’s Speakeasy, Atlanta Beer & Oyster, and Sea Critters Cafe. They also own Steelbach, BAR at Armature Works, Butcher N Barbeque, M.Bird, Cress and Stones Throw inside The Heights District.
Some cooler weather is finally upon us and festivals are everywhere. What’s happening this weekend in Tampa Bay?
- Savor St. Pete: Clearwater Beach Uncorked has moved to Downtown St. Pete and is serving up food and drinks including wine, liquor, and beer on Saturday, November 2nd and Sunday, November 3rd. Tickets start at $75 for General Admission. 21+. 400 Bayshore Dr NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701.
- SouthShore Seafood & Arts Festival: Enjoy seafood, music, crafts, and more at a waterfront park in Ruskin this weekend. Over 15,000 people are expected to attend. Tickets start at $5. Family and pet-friendly. 2401 19th Ave NW, Ruskin, FL 33570.
- Tampa Riverwalk Food + Art Festival: Downtown Tampa is having a food and art festival at Tampa Waterworks Park next to Ulele and Armature Works on Saturday, November 2nd from 10AM-7PM. 70+ vendors are expected to attend. Food trucks and live music will be present. 1710 N Highland Ave, Tampa, FL 33602.
- Day of the Dead Block Party: The Dog Bar St. Pete is having a Día de los Muertos party on Saturday, November 2nd, from 11AM-6PM. The block party will have face painting by Nicole Desiree Hays of Body Wars, Nueva Cantina’s food truck, chihuahua races, DJ Shannon C, street vendors, a costume contest, raffle prizes, and more. 2300 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, FL 33712.
Did I miss something? Reach out.
The Sulphur Springs River Tower Festival is coming Saturday, November 16th, 2019 with a mission of restoring and preserving Sulphur Springs Water Tower (originally built in 1927) and improvements to the surrounding River Tower Park located at 401 East Bird Street, Tampa, FL 33604 .
Sulphur Springs was once an important landmark in Tampa that was quite the attraction. After the spring was damaged and people moved to other parts of town the area was mostly abandoned although efforts to restore the area have been done over they ears.
Recent development in Seminole Heights has draw attention back to the area though and the Sulphur Springs Water Tower.
The event will feature 10 live bands, 7 DJs, a fire show, magician, balloon artist, drum circle for kids, food trucks, art vendors, beer and wine. Gates will open at 11AM and close at 10PM.
Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 the day of the event (if available). Kids ages 10 and under are FREE.
Visitors are encouraged to bring chairs or blankets comfort on the lawn. No outside coolers, food, or drinks will be allowed.
Purchase tickets: http://www.preserveourtower.com/tickets/
Learn more at preserveourtower.com.
The SouthShore Seafood and Arts festival is coming this November 2nd and 3rd to E.G. Simmons Park in Ruskin. Over 15,000 people attended the festival in 2018. Organizers are offering a group rate of $3 for 20 admission tickets. The festival is kid and pet-friendly (pets must be on leashes).
There will be a wide-variety of seafood available at the festival including stone crabs and a variety of other seafood dishes from the Gulf and beyond.
The event is organized by the SouthShore Chamber of Commerce.
There will be boats and RVs, arts and crafts, educational displays, commercial exhibits, and tons of interactive kids entertainment for families to enjoy. Over 150 vendors will be present at the event.
Food trucks and vendors attending include:
- Mobstah Lobstah
- Funnel Vision
- Chop and Serve New Orleans Cuisine
- Buttman BBQ
- Bearcakes Rumcakes
- Big Crush Slush
- Gypsy Sliders
- & more
Event Name: SouthShore Seafood and Arts Festival
Date & Time: Saturday, November 2nd, 10AM-5PM, Sunday, November 3rd, 10AM-5PM
Venue: E.G. Simmons Park
Address: 2401 19th Avenue, N.W., Ruskin, FL 33570
Cost: $5 adults, Kids 12 & under FREE, Active Military FREE with ID, $2 parking per car to enter park, parking is free afterwards.
Facebook RSVP: http://www.facebook.com/events/516486122476272/
Yelp is hiring a Community Manager in Tampa Bay.
“Do you love Tampa Bay? Are you the go-to person when it comes to planning a night out, always ready with a recommendation for the city’s most seasoned finds and hidden hotspots? As the Tampa Bay Community Manager, you’ll be a full-time Yelp employee (working out of your home or anywhere with WiFi) at the helm of a vibrant, buzzing community of locals who drink, shop and play their way through the city via peer recommendations on Yelp. Community Managers are driven, self-motivated, charismatic, and organized as they’re tasked with wrangling a slew of to-dos both on and offline, from writing and moderating to party planning and ringleading!
- Has a fire in the belly. Walks through walls. Takes no prisoners. In a word: driven. Even when no one is watching. Especially then.
- Social connector. You are the hub of your social world. You know everyone. Everyone knows you. The fun one. Diplomatic, too.
- You reside in Tampa Bay and consider yourself a local expert (see below).
- Have more than a few years of post-graduate professional experience (existing Yelp community managers have 5 to 15 years).
- Lives to write; writes to live. You know who you are… pencils down!
About the job
- Event planning. Conceptualize, negotiate, plan and execute cool, fun and buzz-worthy (big wow factor!) events/parties.
- Marketing outreach. Connect with the right local organizations, barter weekly newsletter sponsorships for promotion of Yelp.
- Socializing and adventuring. Meet up with yelpers. Attend civic events. See and be seen. In the scene. Be the Mayor. Always on.
- Writing. Write locally compelling newsletters weekly and inspiring reviews daily, as well as persuasive pitches to venue owners and marketing partners.
- Communication. Be accountable with stellar communication to your peers and those who support you at Yelp HQ.
Other fun requirements
- 4-year college/university degree
- Currently living and rocking out in Tampa Bay.
- Experience with social networking, guerilla marketing tactics, and event planning
Ready to apply? Submit the following (all required):
- Cover letter/note showcasing your writing skills and general personality and style.
- Resume showcasing your relevant experience
- A link to your (full and interesting) Yelp profile – this is your writing sample, so make it snappy!”